What types of email accounts are available and how can they be setup? #
The following types of email accounts can be created and maintained using the Email Admin Panel under “Email Accounts”:
What are POP and IMAP email accounts and how can you create them? #
POP & IMAP email accounts store email on the mail server in a mailbox. You can download your email using from the mail server using a POP enabled email program or read your email directly on the mail server using a IMAP enabled email program or our webmail feature.
You can create POP and IMAP email accounts using the Email Admin Panel, by clicking Add / Edit Mailbox.
Where do I create or manage email accounts from a control panel? #
Email accounts can be created and managed through the Email Admin Panel, using the following URL: http://admin.emailsrvr.com
How do you change the password for an email account? #
Please see our recommendation on how to create a secure password.
How much are additional email accounts and how do you add one? #
You are able to add additional email accounts in excess of our hosting plans at a cost of $1.00/month per mailbox. So if you host a domain on Micro Squid and are using all 5 email accounts offered and need a sixth, you can add this additional mailbox for $1/mo.
To add another email account to one of your domains, please enter a support ticket through our Help Desk.
NOTE: The maximum amount of email accounts allowed per domain is 25.
Are there setup guides available for email client programs? #
Yes, we have step-by-step guides available. Please login with your full email address and password here: Email Setup Guides.
Once logged in click on the Setup My Email button. Follow the on-screen guide to select your device type, operating system, and email program.
How do you configure an email program for a POP email account? #
For your incoming mail server use:
Here is information for configuring outgoing mail server SMTP.
NOTE: If your email program does not support secure email over SSL, use mail.example.com as your server name (replace “example.com” with your actual domain name) and port: 110.
How do you configure an email program for a IMAP email account? #
For your incoming mail server use:
Here is information for configuring outgoing mail server SMTP.
NOTE: If your email program does not support secure email over SSL, use mail.example.com as your server name (replace “example.com” with your actual domain name) and port: 143.
How do you access an email account with a web browser using webmail? #
To access your mailbox via the webmail interface, use the following URL:
- Login the the Email Admin Panel
- Under Email Hosting click “Manage Aliases”
- Select the domain name
- Click “Add Alias”
- Under “Create New Alias” enter the desired alias
- Select the domain email account(s) the alias will be used for OR add an outside email address (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) to the “Add members outside this domain (4 max)” box and click “Save”
What is an email alias/forward/redirect and how do you create one? #
An email alias (also called a forward or redirect) is an additional email address that is associated with an existing domain email account or an outside email address. An email alias is not an actual mailbox. You will be unable to login to webmail to access an email alias.
Email aliases can be setup using the Email Admin Panel:
What is an email auto-reply and how is it configured? #
An email auto-reply sends out a automated response when someone sends an email to your email address. Auto-reply emails can be configured to be sent out during a specific date range and time period.
Email auto-replies can be configured via webmail, under Settings > Incoming Email > Auto-Reply.
You can also set up an auto-reply using the Email Admin Panel under Mailboxes > Mailbox Details > Forwarding / Auto-Reply.
Can I setup a catch-all email account? #
A catch-all address will receive ALL EMAIL sent to invalid mailboxes at your domain. These messages are not filtered for spam. We do not recommend the use of this feature. If you prefer receiving and filtering infinite possibilities of spam and would like a catch-all account created for your domain, open up a support ticket through our Help Desk and we will set one up for you.
Is there a SMTP mail server that can be used to send out email through the mail server? #
To relay email through our mail server using secure SMTP authentication, you’ll need to configure your email program settings using the following information:
outgoing mailserver (SMTP): secure.emailsrvr.com
port: 465, 587, 25, 8025 or 2525
NOTE: If your email program does not support secure email over SSL, use mail.example.com as your outgoing mail server SMTP (replace “example.com” with your actual domain name) and port: 25, 587, 8025 or 2525.
Any sending out of mass mailings or mailing lists using our SMTP is a direct violation of our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and could lead to the suspension of your web hosting account. If you want to run a mailing list, here are some suggestions.
What can be done when a mailbox goes over its quota and email starts bouncing? #
Once you have exceeded the 25 GB email quota for a mailbox, it will stop accepting any new email and any additional email sent to that email address will bounce back to the sender. To solve this problem you’ll need to free up some space by downloading or deleting email from the mail server.
If you are using an email program to download from a POP email account, then just deselect the “leave mail on server” option, so that your email will be permanently downloaded to your computer.
If you are using IMAP or webmail you’ll need to actually delete some of your mail from the mail server (your trash and sent email are a good place to start). When deleting email using Webmail, make sure to select the “purge deleted” option in order to permanently remove your deleted email from the mail server.
If you are ever unsure of how much email storage space is assigned to your website or you want to find out how much of that space you are actually using, you can check your email quota and current usage by logging into webmail.
How do you check the mailbox quota for a domain and actual email usage? #
You can check a domain’s email quota and current usage by logging into webmail.
Is there a size limit on email attachments? #
For security and performance reasons, 50MB is the maximum size email that will be accepted by the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
A better way to transfer large files would be to setup a FTP User where you can upload the files to your domain then give the recipient a url for downloading the files.
Another option would be to use a third party file transfer service like Dropbox.
Do you offer any kind of mailing list services? #
We do not offer any kind of mailing list services. Here are a few things to consider if you are planning on setting up a mailing list:
- We do not allow the installation of any mailing lists scripts or mailing lists that are generated from a database. There are several reasons for this including the possible negative impact on our mail server’s performance and potential for spam related issues. In general we do not allow any form of mass mailing from our mail server or any other kind of high-volume mailing activities
- Consider hosting your email lists at an offsite mailing list service or on a private mail server.If you are looking for an email list service, we recommend MailChimp. You can setup a free email list with them for up to 500 subscribers and up to 3,000 emails per month. If you need more than that, their volume pricing is very reasonable.Here are some other services that provide email list hosting: Google Groups, Yahoo! Groups, FanBridge Constant Contact, Your Mailinglist Provider, Campaign Monitor and MailerMailer.Some of these services will setup a subdomain (i.e. lists.yourdomain.com) for you and provide you with a DNS entry for our nameserver. Many of these services have fairly advanced list functionality including digest options and custom headers & footers etc. Often they will provide you with code that you can add to your website so people can subscribe/unsubscribe themselves.
- Some ISP’s offer email list services. Check with your ISP and see if they offer that kind of service.
DO NOT use our SMTP service to send out mailing lists or any other kind of mass mailing. Every time you do, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens. Also, you will be in violation of our AUP and could have your hosting suspended.
Do you support any secure email options? #
As an available feature of our cloud hosting, we highly encourage using secure email over SSL:
POP3 with SSL
IMAP with SSL
SMTP with SSL
port: 25, 465, 587, 8025 or 2525
Is spam protection included with email? #
Our email system includes multiple levels of anti-spam protection that are updated on a daily basis. The mail server identifies potential spam based on a ranking system that you can use to adjust the sensitivity of spam detection. You can also have the spam tagged adding [SPAM] to the subject line, making it easier to filter spam using your email program or webmail.
In order to configure the spam filter setting:
- Login to the “Domains” page of the Email Admin Panel
- In the upper right-hand corner, locate the Go to section dropdown menu, and select Domains
- In the Spam Filtering box, click Set Preferences. Here you can adjust the spam filtering for an entire domain or an individual mailbox.
What can be done to reduce the amount of spam that is sent to an email account? #
Here are some additional steps you can take to reduce or eliminate spam:
- use your email program’s spam filterMost email programs have a very good built-in anti-spam feature that you can train to identify and filter spam. There are also many shareware applications available that will process all of your email first then tag any potential spam.The advantage to filtering to a separate spam/junk mail folder, rather than just deleting email identified as spam, is that that way you can deal with the filtered email when you have time to and if your spam filter misidentified something as spam (i.e. a false positive), you will not lose potentially valid email.
- external spam blocking servicesIf you are really sick of spam and filtering just doesn’t do the trick, there are several services like Spam Arrest that will filter your email based on white lists and challenge-response techniques. These services are subscription based, but are worth it to some people who are overwhelmed by spam and just want to be rid of it, even if it means that it may be a little harder for people to get ahold of them.
In addition to all of the tactics listed here, check out Richard Conner’s excellent “Spam Rules” (Rick’s Spam Digest) article which lists things you can do to reduce amount of spam you recieve.
Is anti-virus protection included with email? #
Yes, a robust two-stage anti-virus protection system is built into our email services, but you should also make sure to run an anti-virus program on your computer, especially if you use Microsoft Windows.
Do you recommend any Anti-Virus and Firewall programs? #
How can you stop virus spam from spoofing an email address? #
There really isn’t anything that you or Laughing Squid can do to stop someone from spoofing your email address when sending out spam. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of this kind of thing lately, especially with spam viruses like Klez, Sobig, MyDoom, Bagle, Netsky, Sasser, etc. and their variants. The good news is that none of this spam is being generated from your website or Laughing Squid mail server.
We have never seen any of our customers become blacklisted as a result of this kind of spoofed email. Luckily most anti-spam organizations read the header info of the spam emails that they process and they can easily see where an email is actually being sent from. In your case they will be able to tell that the spam is not being sent from our mail server, therefore there is no reason to block your domain.
The best thing to do with these spam viruses is to just delete them. If you are running Windows, especially if you are using Outlook or Outlook Express on Windows, make sure that you are running an Anti-Virus program and that you are keeping your virus definitions up-to-date.
For up-to-date information on the various email viruses and worms that are currently making the rounds, as well as sources for anti-virus programs and removal tools, check out the F-Secure Security Information Center.